Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Joy of the Kingdom

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."
- Matthew 13:44

I was kind of hoping Mike would cover this one in his sermon, since I'm not sure. But there are two things that stick out to me about the man in this passage:

1. He's completely sold out for the Kingdom. To him, the treasure is worth more than all of his possessions combined. It is truly the most important thing to him on this earth.

2. He acts in his joy. Not only does he give everything up to inherit the Kingdom, but he does it joyfully.

How often do I put the Kingdom of Heaven ahead of worldly possessions? And how often do I do it joyfully, with no sense of remorse or longing for what I've given up? This man models the viewpoint we should have about the Kingdom, and I need to be praying that it would be my only joy on this earth.

1 comment:

  1. Good comment.

    Along these lines of wealth here vs. the Kingdom, I read some encouragement today from 1 Peter 1:

    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you," (1 Pt 1:3,4)

    We're rich! Maybe not when considering just what we have here, but there is an inheritance with our name on it waiting for us in heaven. And it's real. I look forward to seeing it. Jesus and the apostles encourage us to invest in and to "deposit" our treasure there.

    ReplyDelete